After the Stir Fry Noodles, here comes the Chicken Sweet Corn Rice Congee. I really like this congee and it is good to eat in wintertime. It warms me instantly. My mother used to make rice congee (no chicken and sweet corn 🙁 ) when I was sick. But it is a healthy recipe and is suitable to eat regularly. You can also use other ingredients such as mince beef and fish to make different taste.
Chicken breast 200g
Corn 90g (a half can)
Water 5-6 cups
Rice 1/2 cup (uncooked)
Ginger thumb size, peeled and crushed
Spring onion, chopped (optional)
- Put the washed rice into freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Cut the ginger into 2-3 pieces and crushed with the side of the knife.
3. Add the frozen rice, ginger and chicken breast into boiling water. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt and a pinch of sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes in low heat.
4. After 20 minutes, take out the chicken breast and add sweet corn, continue to simmer for 10 minutes, stir it occasionally.
5. Meanwhile, use two forks to cut the chicken breast into shred. Add the shredded chicken back into the congee and stir well. Try the taste and adjust by adding more salt accordingly.
6. Add chopped Spring onion to garnish and serve.
This is a very simple congee. The amount of water, seasoning, cooking time varies. You can change around to suit your own. The changes of cooking time and amount of water will change the texture of the congee. You can experiment with it and try different combination.