This Tomato Garlic Prawns dish is especially designed for prawn-eaters. This is my brother’s favorite dish. The freshness of prawns is a crucial part of this dish so I recommend buying fresh prawn on shells in Chinese supermarkets. In my experience, they sell the freshest seafood. The authentic Tomato Garlic Prawns served in most Chinese restaurants contains cooking wine. This is an alcohol free version which tastes just as good!
Tomato Garlic Prawns
Garlic 3 cloves crushed
Spring onion 1 chopped
Ketchup 4-5 Tbsp
Soy sauce 1/2-1Tbsp
Worcestershire sauce 1/2tsp – 1tsp
1. Wash the prawns.
2. Remove the spiky part on top of the prawn’s head and cut off the prawn’s antenna.
3. Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the top part of the shell body of the prawn to expose the vein. Use a toothpick to remove the vein.
5. On the frying pan, shallow fry the spring onion and garlic until they turn golden brown.
6. Add the prawns, pan fry it until they are golden brown.
7. Add ketchup, sugar, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, mix well.
8. Serve after the prawns are thoroughly cooked.
I like using toothpick to remove prawn vein. It is by far the best method to remove vein out of all that I have tried.