I know my blog haven’t been updated for quite a while. I was very busy (and frankly a little bit lazy). But there will be two more recipes on the way so hopefully it won’t be take too long before the next update.
You may not have seen this beef cake before as this is rarely available. This beef cake was first introduced by a Muslim restaurant so we all call it “Halal Beef Cake” in Hong Kong. It is very popular with many locals as they visit the restaurant regularly just for this. To my content, my Halal Beef Cake is very similar to the actual thing. I reduced the size of the beef cake as I find them less messy to eat and more suitable for people who have smaller apetite.
2. Sieve the plain flour and mix it with the salt.
3. Add the water in the plain flour for 3 times.
4. Mix the flour and water well until it becomes a dough.
5. Use a wet towel or cling film to cover it and let it rest for 45 mins.
6. In the meantime, we will make the filling. Add the beef mince with salt. Keep mixing and stirring until it becomes sticky. Add the water, 1Tbsp at a time.
7. Add all other ingredients in the filling and mix well.
8. Chill the filling in the fridge.
9. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Divide the dough into 16 pieces, each one should be appox 30g.
10. Roll each into a ball and use a rolling pin to flatten it into a 12 cm wide circle. Make sure you roll the side a bit thinner.
11. Place 1 Tbsp or more filling at the center of the circle. Gently pinch the side in one direction with 2 fingers and seal the dumpling. Place it upside down (ie. The sealed side should face downward.) Use your palm to gently flatten it a little bit and it should be appox 7 cm.
12. When you have fit all the fillings in the dumplings. Heat oil in a frying pan. Place the dumplings on the pan in medium high heat (the sealed side should face down). When it turns golden, turn to the other side. When the other side is golden, turn to the other side and add some water in the pan. The water should reach a quarter height of the dumplings. Turn to medium heat. Place the lid on and cook until the water is evaporated. It should be approximately 4-5 minutes. The mince cake should be hot and crispy. Take it out, serve hot.